Inflammatory diseases of the prostate gland affect about 60% of men. Such a widespread occurrence of prostatitis is explained by a large number of factors that can cause it. The reasons may be infectious lesions, impaired immune defense, hypothermia of tissues or impaired blood circulation in the gland area, lack of regular sex.
The urgency of the problem has contributed to the appearance on the market of many types of drugs. Despite the wide range of drugs, it is highly undesirable to start treatment on your own. The urologist will help to determine what caused the inflammation in a particular case.
Types of medicines for the treatment of prostatitis
An integrated approach is used to achieve a quick and high-quality result in the drug therapy of prostatitis. The following groups of medicines are used:
- Antibiotics.They are used in the presence of a laboratory confirmed bacterial pathogen. The type of antibacterial agent used depends on the sensitivity of the microbe. In most cases, these are fluoroquinolones, tetracyclines, or penicillins.
- Anti-inflammatory drugsfor prostatitis. They relieve inflammation in the gland, thereby improving blood flow, the outflow of secretions from the gland and relieve pain.
- Muscle relaxants for skeletal muscles.Relieve tension in the muscles near the gland, which is manifested by a decrease in discomfort and pain.
- Muscle relaxants for smooth muscles.Relieve spasm in the urethra, gland ducts and blood vessels, which improves the outflow of urine, prostate secretions and relieves pain.
- Alpha-blockersfor prostatitis. They relieve the tone of the smooth muscles of the urethra and the bladder neck, which is manifested by an improvement in urine flow, and reduces the frequency of disease relapses.
- Hormonal drugs.Reduce the development and swelling of the gland tissues.
- Immunostimulants.Designed to increase the body's defenses to fight infection.
- Phytotherapeutic agents.They have combined properties: reduce the swelling of the gland, improve the outflow of urine, increase potency. They are ineffective in monotherapy. Well suited for disease prevention.
Treatment options vary depending on the form of prostatitis.
Depending on the situation, drugs can be delivered in tablet form, in the form of suppositories, injections, instillations, microclysters.
Good results can be achieved with a combination of drug therapy, physical therapy and prostate massage. A prerequisite for treating a patient is to correct his lifestyle.
Medicines for the treatment of acute prostatitis
Acute prostatitis occurs due to an infectious cause. His treatment is based on the use of antibiotics. The requirements for these substances should include activity against this pathogen, good penetration into tissues, and a minimum number of side effects.
The edema that occurs in acute prostatitis will cause pain and urinary retention. For these reasons, the appointment of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and antispasmodics is mandatory.
It is worth remembering that an acute inflammatory process is a contraindication to physiotherapy and massage.
Preparations for chronic prostatitis
Chronic prostatitis requires longer treatment than acute prostatitis. The prolonged course of inflammation causes the proliferation of connective tissue, which will interfere with the penetration of antibacterial agents to the foci of infection.
Therefore, enzyme preparations are additionally used in the treatment of chronic prostatitis. They are prescribed in the form of suppositories.
General immunomodulatory therapy is carried out, which includes the appointment of certain drugs.
Slowdown of blood flow in the gland reduces the rate of metabolic processes and slows down regeneration. To improve microvascular circulation, tablets are prescribed.
All chronic diseases deplete the body's reserves. To replenish the lack of vitamins and trace elements, multivitamin complexes are prescribed.
Some cases of chronic prostatitis require hormone therapy.
Despite the availability of drugs, self-treatment is not recommended. The disease can become chronic, lead to curvature of the urethra, oncological degeneration of the gland. At the first signs of the disease, you should immediately consult a urologist.